Saturday, July 26, 2008

In Which I Am Home From Boston

I have much to say about my trip to Boston. There are so many things to mention that this post will practically write itself. Before I get into that, I want to thank you all for your kind words and support. It touched me deep down inside, (not in a dirty way, you perv) and I'm greatly thankful to know all of you and have you all as readers.

I don't want to give you a play-by-play of the trip, because I'm pretty sure it'd be very boring. I'm going to anyways, but condense it a little bit to avoid putting you all to sleep. There really wasn't much that happened that is worth talking about, but I am not completely without some stories. Let me break it down:
  • Both the train ride down to Boston and the subway trip to the hotel was uneventful. The Boss and my sister enjoyed ganging up on me, and teased me the entire way down. It was, for the most part, fun. It was raining lightly, so we started out the day in Boston slightly wet and soggy. We spent a majority of the morning at the Cambridgeside Mall, wandering around all three stories of it. I was fortunate enough to be able to follow The Boss and Maria around such awesome stores like Old Navy and Lane Bryant.
  • We grabbed a shuttle from the mall to the Kendall/MIT station, and headed towards MGH. It didn't take as long as we had thought, and we got there about an hour early for my appointment. I spent that time sitting in the waiting room, struggling to stay awake, my head bobbing up and down. It probably looked like I was giving the world's worst imaginary blowjob.
  • After the appointment, we went to the hotel to officially check-in and clean up. My mother was coming to Boston for a conference the next day, and we were going to meet up for dinner. We were six blocks away from the Cambridgeside Mall, and dinner was at The Cheesecake Factory. I got soaked from the rain, enough to need to purchase another shirt prior to going to dinner. Dinner was great (I had the classic burger, and Dutch Apple cheesecake), and was over quickly. Then it was back to the hotel, and I fell asleep at 10:30.
  • We were up early the next morning. The continental breakfast sucked more than I thought was possible, and then we were en route to MGH for my second appointment. After that was done and over with, we headed off to Quincy Market. We hung out there until 4:00, when we headed back to the hotel to grab our luggage, and then we were on our way to the train station for the ride back home.

Pretty un-interesting, eh? That's probably because I left out that I was solicited for spare change by seven different yet equally scary-looking men. And that I had an employee at Sears try to sell me gutters, even when I told him I didn't own a home ("Ask your landlord! I really need this commission!"). Or that I almost got ran over by an old man on a purple kids bike, complete with handlebar streamers. Or that I came across a girl on the subway who was wearing a mini-skirt and needed to be taught the value of crossing one's legs when sitting down, and also the importance of wearing underwear and/or personal grooming.

I could also mention that I saw more nun's roaming around Boston than there probably was on the set of "The Sound of Music". Or that the "interpretive dance" group that I saw performing allowed me to laugh harder than I've laughed in a long time. Or that the guy that took my order at a pizza joint looked like he was one more "NEXT PLEASE!" away from stroking out on the floor. Or that the pigeons in Boston are so brazen and unafraid of people that I was slightly afraid of them.

I managed to take a few pictures of things, but only during the train ride to Boston and the train terminal. After that, I had put my camera away and promptly forgot about it. I wouldn't have had much of a chance to catch anything, between the rain on Thursday and rushing around on Friday. It's Boston, though. Anything worth seeing is easily found by doing quick searches on the Internet.

Except for the cooter of that chick on the subway. I could be wrong, though. Judging by the way she was dressed, she might own a webcam. Or at least have a voyeuristic boyfriend.

The Boss and I arrived home at 10:30 last night. We were both exhausted, and wanted nothing more than to go straight to bed. Alas, our apartment had been taken over by fleas in our absence, so we were up until midnight getting it under control. Upon getting up this morning, I was greeted by 34 new feeds, 28 e-mails in my inbox, and four pages of Twitter updates. It took me four hours to get caught up. It is a reminder to not leave my laptop at home next time. Reading and commenting on 34 entries is a lot of work for one morning.

Now, before you think I'm leaving something out of this post, I'm not going to be talking about my doctor's appointments in this entry. This entry has become long enough already, and I still have to wrap my head around everything I was told. It is nothing serious, so don't worry. I'm coming to terms with a few things, so writing it out should help. I'll be working on it this weekend, and should have something up by Monday.

I'm going to see "The Dark Night" tonight with The Boss and my father. I'm excited to see it, and I don't think I'm going to be let down. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.


Forever In School said...

Good to have you back.

Heather said...

yay! You're back!
Although, I just got back from Dark Knight, and verily - I was disappointed.
Sounds like you had an interesting trip at elast.

Daddy Files said...

Glad it's nothing serious.
But seriously man, don't you dare complain about Sharon Stone flashing you her beaver on the train. With very few exceptions, it's almost never a bad thing to get a sneak peak at the old axe wound! I mean Jesus, I don't think I've seen my own wife's in months!

Wow...sorry. Was that the line I just pole vaulted over? I'm deliriously bored at work right now.

KT said...

You kill me with your thoughts on the scantily clad girl. Very funny.

Glad it's nothing serious and that you made it home in one piece.

Enjoy Dark Night. My sister said it was fab.

Lola said...

Nuns? It must have been a convetion, because I've never seen one on the streets of Boston I don't think. Seen lots of crotch shots, but no nuns.

Glad you're back, man! Hope you enjoy the movie.

scatterbrain said...

Welcome back - mmm….cheesecake! Flea infestation not so good, especially when you need sleep...making me itch. Enjoying this more than the Sunday snooze papers.

Eagerly anticipating your assessment of “The Dark Night”, which I’m seeing next week. The clips look amazing.

Thanks for letting us know your condition isn’t too serious – at least it’s something totally interesting and unusual.

Badass Geek said...

FIS: Thanks... It's good to be back.

Heather: I thought "Dark Night" was good, but I do have some complaints about it.

Daddy Files: If it was Sharon Stone's beaver that I caught a glimpse of, I would have stabbed my eyes out.

KT: I could have said more about the no-underwear girl, but I didn't want to let on too much to my wife (who reads this blog) that I was looking "down there" to begin with.

Lola: I think it would have been more interesting had the nun's been the one giving crotch shots.

Scatterbrain: Sleeping is difficult when you know there are fleas in the house. Luckily the bedroom is the one place they haven't gotten to yet.

Post a Comment