I started with a sore throat late in the day on Monday, and has since progressed into a lovely combination of nasal and chest congestion, fever, and post-nasal drip. I haven't slept more than six hours in the past two nights, I'm breathing through my mouth because my nose is clogged, and I honestly don't intend on showering today.
Because of my sore throat and the pain that I have when speaking, I called in sick to work today. I haven't called out of a full shift in over a year. While I'm glad I don't have to spend 10 hours talking on the phone today, it's not like I'm going to enjoy this extra day off. I mean, how can one possibly enjoy hacking up phlegm and breathing like James Gandolfini?
Today is the last day to submit entries for my Contest. If you plan on participating, make sure you e-mail me your submissions by midnight tonight. To be fair, any entries timestamped after midnight will not qualify. I've had some really great submissions, so The Boss will have her work cut out for herself in choosing a winner. As promised, a winner will be announced by this coming Friday, the 24th.
Heather has tagged me for a meme of sorts. Since I find these things really intruiging, I'll jump on the bandwagon and play along. Here are six of my Favorite Things:
- Board Games - As a kid, my family and I would often gather 'round the table to play a game together. We played Monopoly the most often, and the memories I have of playing games with my family are among the best that I have. Despite the fact that just about every game night ended with someone (the loser, often myself) complaining about the rules not being fair.
- Car Trips - There is not much else in this world that I enjoy more than going for a ride in the car. To me, the ultimate feeling of freedom is driving with the windows down and the music blaring, driving with no particular destination, driving just to get away from where you were and to get to wherever you are going.
- Grilling - I love to cook food on the grill, no matter what time of year. Nothing tastes better than a burger or an Italian sausage cooked on the grill. It is strictly a summertime tradition for most, but I love to break out the grill in the middle of winter and enjoy a meal cooked outside to help break the cabin fever.
- Movies That Make You Think - I am a lover of just about any genre of movie, but I especially enjoy movies that make you think. Whether it's having to piece together clues to figure out who the bad guy is, or a movie that challenges you to think and talk about your opinions on certain things, I like a movie that demands something of the viewer.
- Ice Water - As someone who is incessantly thirsty, I love me some ice water. Even in the winter time after coming inside from clearing the driveway, I'll gulp down a glass of ice water before I'll consider hot chocolate. It also helps calm me down when I'm feeling stressed.
- Music - I am a lifetime band geek. In highschool, being in the band was my life. In college, a bulk of my socializing was done within the music department. I enjoy playing music, listening to music, writing music, discussing music, criticizing music... Anything. I feel as if I understand music more than I understand myself at times.
This is about all I have the brain function for today. My mind is kind of cloudy from all the cold medications I've taken, and despite vigorous attempts at clearing my sinuses, they remain more blocked than a human test subject at an Ex-Lax factory.
And again, make your contest submissions by midnight tonight!