A few weeks ago, I got an email from the people who run TheSnugg.com. They are an online retailer of cases for iPads, iPhones, and other devices. The offered me a case for any device I may have, in exchange for a review. The only tablet I own right now is a Nexus 7. They shipped me the case, and I've been trying it out ever since it came in the mail.
Let's bust out the Pro's and Con's, shall we?
- Initial impressions of its quality were good. It is sturdy and well built, and fit the tablet very nicely.
- The imitation leather material is smooth but grippy, and is comfortable to hold for long periods of time without getting sweaty.
- The built-in stand works very well and feels very secure, and it has a strap that you can slide your hand through for a better grip if you're holding it one handed.
- The auto-awake feature is a wonderful thing. Magnets built into the case interact with magnets within the tablet to automatically wake it up when you open it, and put it to sleep when you close it.
- Access to the charging port and front camera through the case is adequate.
- The cover of the case, when folded back behind the tablet and laid flat against the back of the case, sticks out further than the rest of the case. If you hold your tablet in the portrait position in both hands as I often do (when typing, for example), having the lid protruding out like that is quite annoying.
- The magnets in the lid of the case can cause the tablet to go to sleep if you have the lid folded behind it. This doesn't happen all the time, but happened enough to be a source of frustration.
- Due to the contour of the sides of the tablet itself and the placement of the power button and volume rocker, they are difficult to reach comfortably in this case. Not impossible, but if you need to quickly adjust the volume, you may find yourself fumbling a bit.
Overall, I'm pleased with the case. It is a large step above the case I had before. In fact, my old case went in the trash after two days of using the one I got from TheSnugg.com. If their other items are of the same quality as the one I tried for my Nexus 7, you can't go wrong.